From an email by Joan Lambert to Athertonians:
I have 3 kids and live right off Atherton Ave. and ECR. I believe a big issue is that it is very dangerous for kids (or anyone) to ride their bike or walk along ECR. I agree with Paul that people often speed on ECR in this area and that more accidents will happen unless changes are made. I drive my kids to school every day because I do not think it is safe for them to walk or bike along ECR. I am wondering if there is anything that the residents can do to improve the situation.
In Menlo Park, some of the crosswalks now have lights that flash when a pedestrian is crossing. Perhaps we could get these types of crosswalks installed on ECR in Atherton. Some of the crosswalks also have orange flags that someone can take with them when they cross. I don't know if either of those things would have helped in the recent fatal accident or not.
Is there anyone who is looking into anything like this?
Please post on this board if anyone has information about what residents can do to help make ECR (and other Atherton streets) safer.
Thanks so much,
Joan Lambert
Odell Place
From Suzanne Mohan (not posted to Athertonians):
ReplyDeleteIn the UK crosswalks are more clearly marked. We call them
zebra crossings as they have black and white stripes (and
usually a light.) Pedestrians always have right of way. I
think it is also important to have a traffic light at a
pedestrian crossing on a busy road such as El Camino. This
can be activated when someone wants to cross.RegardsSuzanne
From Debbie Rosenberg (not posted to Athertonians):
ReplyDeleteJoan and all,
I am in total agreement that something needs to be done immediately about the crosswalks on El Camino. I live at Alejandra and Brittany Meadows and have seen a huge increase in traffic throughout the years on Alejandra because of Menlo College, Menlo School, St. Josephs, construction and general cut-through traffic.
I am not only concerned about the crosswalks at El Camino and Alejandra, El Camino and Isabella, but also allowing left turns onto El Camino into the dangerous little merging lanes on El Camino. I strongly believe these side streets should allow no left turns. I see these breathtaking almost-accidents daily.
I have seen many, many frightening near miss accidents and quite a few accidents at Alejandra and El Camino both in and out of the cross walk,with both cars, pedestrians and cyclists and in the little merge lane due cars blocking oncoming traffic and creating obstructed views. One recent near miss that I saw was just the day after the tragic cyclist fatality on Isabella and El Camino. I know these near misses happen all the time. There is absolutely nothing to warn the fast, preoccupied drivers on El Camino about the potential of pedestrians or cyclists crossing the street.
I have seen long lines of cars on Alejandra waiting up to 8-10 minutes to turn right or left on El Camino, while waiting for those cars to turn left. There are no stop signs, no stop lights, no crosswalk warning signs either by symbol or in writing (Redwood City has these), no blinking lights or light-reflecting warning bumps. There is nothing to warn the speedy El Camino drivers of any pedestrians or bicyclists, and this needs to change immediately.
There should also be no allowance for U-Turns at El Camino and Alejandra. Fast oncoming southbound traffic and cars turning right from Alejandra are sure to be hit by these cars making U-Turns. I know this issue affects many of the sidestreets between Valparaiso and Stockbridge on the El Camino corridor.
Our family has been discussing this dangerous situation for years. We have a 16 year old driver, so we are talking about this dangerous zone a lote now.I worry daily about her safety as a young driver, and all of the other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclist who frequent these streets. But, what personalized this fear was the death of our friend, Chris Chandler, who was the cyclist killed last week at Isabella and El Camino. He was a wonderful husband and father of three, an avid cyclist. This tragedy could have been avoided by any kind of attention getting,warning method about the crosswalks on El Camino.
This situation is going to get worse all the time. Drivers are driving faster, are busier, preoccupied, tired. We can't let this keep happening. Proper signage or other methods seems so simple. More stop signs or stop lights on El Camino would be even better. If not, these cross walks should without a doubt be removed. They give cyclists and pedestrians a false sense of security, that without a doubt will end up in many more tragic disasters.
What can we do about this, and now? I'd be happy to help organize this, but don't know the proper process. I'd welcome any information and support.
Joan, thank you for starting this dialogue. Let's all find a solution, and fast!
Warmly,
Debbie Rosenberg
From Joan Lambert (not posted to Athertonians email list)
ReplyDeleteDebbie and all,
I completely agree with everything you wrote. I have also seen many almost-accidents at the same spots you mention. I turn onto Isabella all the time because my in-laws live on that street and that is a dangerous spot as well as Alejandra. I agree that left turns should be prohibited onto El Camino from those streets unless something can be done to make them safer. I drive down El Camino multiple times each day from Atherton Ave. toward Menlo Park and have myself almost hit people turning left onto El Camino from these streets.
I also have a 15 1/2 year old who is just starting driver's ed and I too worry about these intersections. I know that others who live in this neighborhood are also concerned.
I am not sure the proper procedure to petition for some of these changes. A parent I know, Joan Solari, is on the Atherton Transportation Commission. I am cc'ing her in case she has any thoughts as to how to proceed.
I do not want there to be another tragedy on El Camino when there are steps we can take to improve the situation before that happens. Maybe those of us who are concerned can meet sometime soon to discuss how to proceed.
Joan
From Connie Loarie (not posted to Athertonians email list)
ReplyDeleteAre there any clearly marked crosswalks in the Atherton
section of ECR? Connie Loarie
From Andrea Luskin (not posted to Athertonians email list):
ReplyDeleteI’m also a resident of Atherton with children. Over the past 4 years I have studied a number of crosswalks in Atherton and Menlo Park as part of an effort to get a lighted crosswalk installed across Valparaiso in a location where the nearest signal is unsafe. The conclusion everyone came to was that we could increase safety by installing a lighted crosswalk in a section of road that had one lane in each direction, where speeds weren’t excessive, where pedestrians could safely get to the crosswalk, and there was good visibility for drivers approaching the crosswalk.
Based on all the hours I spent looking at these crosswalks, unfortunately, I don’t think that even a lighted crosswalk (with or without flags) would be safe across El Camino. It’s too wide, has too many lanes, too much traffic and too much speed for a safe crosswalk. With or without a crosswalk, I wouldn’t recommend anyone cross El Camino at any place other than a signal.
It seems like the only way to make it safe for pedestrians (and bicylclists) to get across at non-signalized intersections would be to have a bridge or tunnel, which do doubt is cost prohibitive.
However, if there’s some way to increase the safety of the bike/walking lane on either side so pedestrians and bicyclists can safely get to a signal, that seems like it would certainly be a worthwhile endeavor to discuss with the town. The town’s transportation commission would be a good place to start.
Andrea Luskin
Douglass Way
From Connie Loarie (not posted to Athertonians email list)
ReplyDeleteThank you Joan. There are no crosswalks south of Atherton
Avenue in Atherton. The accident apparently occurred at ECR
and Isabella. I don't think it would be too big a deal for
Atherton to paint a crosswalk at this intersection given
what has recently happened. In the meantime, Joan's
excellent suggestion of adding flashing lights to the
crosswalks, which will not only enhance public safety but
also slow the speeders can be discussed by our Town Council.
Connie Loarie
--------------------
Paul,
ReplyDeleteAs a private citizen and also as a representative of the private development community, I am a task force member of the Grand Boulevard Initiative.
http://www.grandboulevard.net/
The GBI is looking at how to make the El Camino Real, which runs all the way from San Jose to San Francisco (The Alameda/El Camino/Mission), a more people-friendly place amongst other goals. The level of cooperation amongst all the various agencies that govern the route, (Cal Trans, Sam Trans, VTA, Caltrain, etc. ) and all the cities alongside it, has been nearly miraculous.
It’s my understanding that the Town of Atherton has so far opted out of being officially involved because of the lack of any businesses on the El Camino within our town. The points you are making below about making it more people-friendly might be a good reason for the town to consider officially getting involved.
Best regards,
Steve
Last night at 7:15 p.m., a man riding a bicycle without a helmet was trying to cross El Camino in the crosswalk at Stockbridge. (I was waiting to turn right onto El Camino off of Stockbridge). It was dark and he had no lights on his bike and no reflective clothing. He waited for oncoming traffic for awhile, then rode quickly across as two southbound cars headed toward him. It was nerve-wracking to watch, because he would have been mowed over had he wobbled or tipped over while trying to cross. My headlights were the only thing lighting his way. Day or night, the only safe way to cross El Camino is with a stop light, and there aren't many of those in Atherton...
ReplyDelete