Subject: [Athertonians] West Nile found in Atherton!
To: "Athertonlunchgroup" <awristachatz@yahoogroups.com>, "Athertonians@yahoogroups.com" <Athertonians@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, August 11, 2012, 6:15 PM
Last week, I
found a dead bird (sparrow) in my yard (Selby Lane, Atherton) with no
signs of attack or broken neck. I called San mateo County
Mosquito abatement based on the Almanac article request. They asked me
to put it in a ziplock bag and put it under my mail box.
I received a
call from "Angie, the biologist" from San Mateo County Mosquito
abatement and she confirmed the sparrow tested a "low level positive for
West Nile." She also gave her number of 650-344-8592 x31.
She said they plan to put more mosquito traps in the area.
Thought everyone should know.
- Jenny Redo
Just a follow up as I have received number emails on this topic. One neighbor emailed me that a houseguest of theirs was bit (by a mosquito) in their yard (on Selby Lane) and then spent two weeks at Stanford Hospital (with West Nile Virus). Two more neighbors told me they found dead birds recently but didn't know they should report them. So......it sounds like West Nile is indeed here, in Atherton. Be careful everyone and please remove any standing water, put chlorine or mosquito eating fish in your fountains or pools, and be careful at sunset.
ReplyDelete- Jenny
Two weeks ago we reported a dead crow at 2 Cowell Lane to the west Nile folks. Not sure if it was confirmed or tested by them.
ReplyDeleteJohn Thibault
Founder, CEO
http://ilobby.co
Sent from my iPhone
(Dictated but not read)
We live backing up to water. In the past we have had a problem with mosquitos until I tried Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed with water poured all over the bricks & walkways. The dogs wear padded hand made dog collars that are carried at Mimi's dog grooming & we put the skin so soft oil on the padding. How I found out this works one night by the pool we had a ton of mosquitos. So I put the oil & water in a glass & stuck it on the table. It kept us safe for a 3 yard radius. That is when I started using it on brick & hard surfaces around the property. Jenny can tell you the bug spray works but I do not think it lasts long term.
ReplyDeleteAfter hearing this I just went & did the dogs, cat, & doorway areas. I am going to call Gail at Avon to get some more bath oil. ORIGINAL!!!!!
She lives less than 1 mile from you. Avon Gail Morris 368-6876
If you have anymore questions for me give me a call
Colleen
650-369-4949
Jenny for your size property I would start out buying 10 - 24 oz bottles. I think they are on sale for 9.99 Make sure you get ORIGINAL
Does anybody know if this nearby body of water has been tested?
ReplyDeleteChelsea Way, Redwood City ()-- it is fairly near Selby Lane.
I recently found a dead bird in my driveway. I called and the humane society picked it up and had it tested--it tested positive (but mild) for west nile.
ReplyDeleteConnie Hawkins
All,
ReplyDeleteWe found a Kestral hawk on our rear lawn. I called the San Mateo number but they said I needed to call the West Nile Virus Hot Line: 877-968-2473. I did and was connected to a fellow who asked, if I had time, could he hold while I went out to the bird to describe it's general condition, which was excellent. Apparently, if you happen upon a decrepit bird they can't do the testing; has to have died within 24 hours. Anyway, the bird is double bagged and available for their pick up. I suspect I may hear at another time from Angie, local San Mateo office.
Warren
From: Colleen Anderson
ReplyDeleteDate: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 am
Subject: The Patch is on line news for our area that did a great job with facts on West Nile
Here is the link:
http://menlopark.patch.com
This is an on line newspaper that just reports the facts.
The Mosquito Abatement Agency gave a presentation at last Wednesday's Town Council Meeting. You can watch it here:
ReplyDeleteWEST NILE VIRUS
Report from San Mateo County Mosquito & Vector Control District
Sam Lerner, President
Bob Gay, General Manager
Part 1
Part 2
Very informative. I did not know they controlled yellow jackets too.
Also, the Police Department issued a release on their WordPress site with direction to residents:
Police Blotter