Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Re: Misinformation on Master Plan

[From email sent by Charles Marsala to Athertonians list]

The current issue to move the library to the park reflects the passion for debate different groups in Atherton have demonstrated for years. 
 
The Facilities batton has been passed through different Town  Council members for years. As a resident, committee member, and council member I was involved with town facilites from 1998 through 2010. I was on the Town's Facilities Committee from 2005-2008, when it was disbanded by a majority vote of the council. Something I opposed. At the begining of 2008, I wanted the Facilities Committee to tackle the town center issue. At the time there was $1.8M in the Building Dept for a new facility for the Building Deptartment's share of the Town Center. Donors were ready to contribute to other parts of the Town Center and a 30 year bond to cover the rests would have only costs the average resident $30.00 per year.
 
The Council instead created the Blue Ribbon Task Force Committe from 2008-2009. As chair, I  wanted the library to be part of our scope, but a council majority denied that request.
 
Hopefully that answers the recent blog question: "Why in all the years that the Blue Ribbon Task Force from 2009 and this past year of the Town Center Task Force, has there never been a consideration to do a Master Plan?"  Answer: Council removed the library from the scope of the Blue Ribbon Task Force. As chair of the BRTF, I thought all along it should  have been considered, either to expand into council chambers or be part of a new town center.
 
A couple of ideas I had were to use the concept of Los Altos Hills and have an Atherton heritage display in the lobby of a new town center. I requested the Heritage Committee be on the BRTF Committee. I also suggested Ashfield could be turned into a cul-de-sac to provide more green space between council chambers and town center.
 
 Question: "Why did the Town Center Task Force exclude the library in their Report and raise the idea of using the existing library for records storage?"   Answer- this is two questions. I have already explained that to my objection the full council removed the library from the BRTF's mission. However three members of the friends of the library were members of the BRTF. I wanted the Friends of the Library on the BRTF so that a Master Plan could be achieved.
 
I do not remember the existing library being recommended for records storage. How could that recommendation have taken place without a recommendation as to where to move the library?
 
 
Why now after the library has spent countless hours and thousands of dollars, to make such an effort to consider a Master Plan?"  ANSWER:  I don't think those that want a town wide vote on the library in the park issue have had an agenda item either at Park and Rec or on a council agenda to express their opinion. As soon as this was on a Park & Rec agenda that recommendation was given. The question now is why didn't the council put on the agenda. discussion of Park  & Rec's recommendation to survey the town on the library in the park?
 
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to moving the library into the park. I do believe that in fairness, a town wide vote should be taken and someone who opposes the movement of the library into the park the chance to express those thoughts on the survey form.
 
If the town wants the library in the park, great. This is a major change for Atherton and should be done with the majority support of the residents.
 
Regards,
 
Charles Marsala 
Council Member 2002-2010

1 comment:

  1. Charles comments seem very much on point to me. I also think that the issue of where to place the library should be put to a vote in a general election, with each side having the opportunity to fully state their positions in the voters pamphlet and throughout the campaign. If this decision is simply rammed through, without most residents being given the opportunity to understand the issue, I am afraid that there will be much unnecessary animosity created.

    Rick DeGolia, Atherton resident since 2000

    ReplyDelete