Monday, May 28, 2012

Atherton library in the park

[Posted by Moderator]

From:     Paul Tonelli
Subject:     [Athertonians] Atherton library in the park
Date:     May 28, 2012 9:22:16 PM PDT
To:     bwidmer@ci.atherton.ca.us
Cc:     athertonians@yahoogroups.com

Dear Mayor Widmer,

I had the pleasure last fall of engaging in a lengthy phone conversation with you about about the future of the Atherton library.  At that time you gave me the impression (we talked for about 40 minutes) that while you were "on the fence" regarding the Atherton library being relocated in Holbrook-Palmer Park that you initially voted in favor of it pending further investigation.  At that time you gave me hope that you would eventually see the folly of Council members of McKeithen and Dobbie.  In fact, after writing to all of the council members I was impressed that only you, along with council member Carlson, were the only two to respond to my communique.  To say I was disappointed NOT to hear from McKeithen, Dobbie and Lewis is an understatement.  Added to that, the fact that you followed up your response with a personal phone call led me to believe that you are in tune with the residents of Atherton.

Since you seem to be in touch, and in tune, with the residents I implore you to lend an ear to what the residents are saying about relocating Atherton's library in Holbrook-Palmer Park!  The relocation, to me, seems to satisfy a minority of residents.  To be frank, and brutally candid, I feel this issue is being forced down the throats of residents at the behest of a few.

I sincerely ask you to please point out the benefits of a new location in respect to the impact on the park.   Is a library in the park worth the expense, and worth the impact on the park and the people who use the park?  Why can't the funds specifically targeted for the library simply be put to use renovating, retrofitting, and expanding the library in its current location?  I understand the charter of the park is expired, but does that mean we simply toss it out the window?  Does that mean that we disregard the wishes for a bucolic, arboretum type atmosphere as stated in the original charter?  Is it really in our stead to make that determination?

In looking at the Environmental Impact Report it became clear to me that the "new" library would not simply fit the foot print of the current main house in the park.  In fact, the EIR shows the foot print of the new library to replace the entire grounds of the main house including the front "yard" area that had been most recently used for wedding ceremonies.  

Mr. Widmer, are you ready to make a decision that would impact the lifestyle of Atherton residents for generations to come?  This is not a decision to be taken lightly.  I ask you to please explain why a library in the park is clearly a better and more effective idea than retrofitting, and rebuilding a library in its current location.  A location that would be central in a new town center.   The increased foot traffic and auto traffic on Watkins and near the railroad crossing at Station Lane, and the increased traffic in the park in light of the pre-school and so many youth activities just does not make sense.

My wife is a genealogist.  She spends much time doing research in libraries in the area.  She is of the opinion that the outstanding libraries in Redwood City and Menlo Park are sufficient in serving the needs of our neighboring areas.  Being familiar with the amount of time she spends in libraries, I am convinced that a larger library in Holbrook-Palmer Park is NOT essential in satisfying the needs of our neighbors in San Mateo County.

Mr. Widmer,  it is impossible for me to use strong enough words when I ask you to think, and think again about your stance on this issue.   Please do not treat it lightly.  You are making a decision for generations.  I am asking you in the strongest sense  that if you have the slightest inkling of doubt to please consider a vote NOT to relocate the  library in the park.  In the very least I would ask that you request a stay on this issue in order to get a sense of what the residents truly want.  You are here to represent us, and I would hope that you would listen to us.

I do NOT agree with the council's decision to relocate the library in the park.  I do believe that the residents should be able to vote on the issue of relocating the library in the park.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Paul Tonelli

6 comments:

  1. I heartily concur with Paul Tonelli's letter. The wishes of the people of
    Atherton need to be heard on this matter. Because a number of people and a town
    committee or two have decided it's right to build a library in the park does not
    make it right! A library at the park will significantly increase traffic into
    what is a pleasant and well-used park, further ruing a peaceful ambiance, which
    is what a park should be all about.

    Donald Fabiano
    77 Watkins Ave.
    Atherton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know all of the details involved on this issue, but with our Atherton roads covered with potholes and the intersection mediums teaming over with large ugly weeds, I do wonder how our joint resources are being used. I don't use the library, but I drive the streets everyday...

    Thanks for some members of the community for attempting to develop some accountability and community consideration around how our taxes are spent.

    I will be happy to vote for or against a new library, if we are allowed to, and a "bi-partisan" summary of the pros and cons of the decision can be developed.


    Richard Steiny
    Isabella Ave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr. Widmer,

    I strongly agree with Paul Tonelli's stand on building a new Library in Holbrook Park. I am very, very much in disagreement of the Council's decision to go ahead with this unpopular plan. Unfortunately, many of us are not able to attend the meetings due to prior commitments. I do believe the town's residents should be able to vote on such issues.

    I fully support Paul's letter, copied below.

    Sincerely,

    Mary Madden
    60 Robleda Drive

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support Paul Tonelli's letter one hundred percent! If only we residents had a say in things . . .

    Marie Straube

    365 Atherton Ave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Don. The people need to be heard. Given the controversy that has arisen, this matter should be more thoroughly reviewed. Why should our great country seek to promote peace and democracy around the world if we can’t have a little democracy in our own back yard?

    Norm Fogelsong

    48 Patricia Drive
    Atherton

    ReplyDelete
  6. A citizen's vote on a new library being built in Holbrook-Palmer Park would seem to be very worthwhile. Can this question be placed on the ballot for a vote? All Atherton residents would appreciate being able to vote on this very important issue. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete